FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air France/KLM to start trial with WiFi on board in 2013
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:23 am
San Gottardo

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
Excellent news, even if it appears it will be a few years before I can count on using WiFi on any long haul flight. I used the old Boeing Connexion WiFi on LH flights many times back when it was in service. For a business person it was excellent being online during the entire Euro and American business day as I flew FRA-LAX. In this crazy always-on world it is kind of amazing that we had this regular service years ago, lost access for about a decade, and we are just now talking about getting it back someday!

I know there will be Luddites who bemoan the interruption of their peace on board, but I hope they can learn to keep to themselves and not try to stop progress.
Lufthansa has re-introduced it several years ago already, all longhaul planes are equipped with it. Works pretty well.

I have also used it on EK and QR, part of their fleets have it (EK A380, QR 787). Also works pretty well.

Very neat, and I am glad AFKL finally catch up. It would make a difference for me to take them for instance on a CDG-USA flight. I don't spend the entire flight online browsing all kinds of pages. But on a 8-11 hour flight checking in from time to time and getting some emails out of the way or using the uninterrupted time on board to research things (work-related, or just to organize the next private holiday) is much less stressful than landing with a huge jetlag and having to go through an enormous heaps of mails that have arrived while I was in the air. The good thing about the "always on" world is that one *can* be always online. Noone forces you.