FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The BA boarding process
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:49 am
msm2000uk
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The BA boarding process

Morning all,

I am fortunate enough to travel First & CE regularly, and although I appreciate this thread might be a recoil against the DYKWIA feed, I have a query.

I flew to JNB on Sunday in First, and upon arriving at the gate to board, was greeted by a longer queue for Fast Track boarding than for regular boarding! I am quite sure one of the reasons for this, is that those in CW/First (as well as BA Silver/Gold), namely those enjoying Lounge access, are all sent to the gate at the same time which creates a build up.

Now I could chalk the longer queue down to the fact the plane was an A380, but even travelling on smaller aircraft, the queue's are still a regular occurrence.

When you check-in, there are different counters for different classes and different BAEC cards. Thus, surely it should follow suit that, upon boarding, BA ought to create a secondary Fast-Track lane for First & Gold passengers.

Now before people critique this post, and state that:

-Everyone arrives at the destination at the same time
-Boarding doesn't take 'that long', deal with it
-A 5 minute wait isn't the end of the world...

...I appreciate all of the above points, but BA promotes First as a premium product, and so surely that premium feel should not just be focused on a lounge and plane environment - the First experience begins on ground and yet the boarding process is little different from other passengers in lesser travel classes.

Am I alone in thinking this? Would it work? Is it a question of staff numbers?

M