FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:38 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl22
1. This was the only airline serving Westchester County Airport in White Plains, NY. It operated 8 flights on weekdays.

in Feb 1972, MO was indeed operating these services as can be seen here

http://www.departedflights.com/MO020172p14.html

which makes me suspect your OAG was from later in the year, and reflects that MO had been absorbed into Allegheny ... AL quickly parked the FH7s in favor of their larger Convair 580s, and began integrating the One-Elevens into their operations along with the DC9-30s that had been the backbone of their fleet.

It's hard to keep a good man down! You are spot on, jrl22! In May of 1972, I remember going down to the Westchester County Airport to see a BAC-111 that was now in the schedules. The merger between MO and AL was recent enough that the aircraft wore Mohawk's livery with a small sticker indicating it was operated by Allegheny.

4. In 1972, these two foreign carriers enjoyed fifth freedom rights on the Chicago – Montreal route.

a couple weeks ago we were talking about US-Canada 747 service in the 1988 timeframe, and one of the answers (see post 4017) was Sabena serving Chicago <-> Montreal ... however I am more inclined to again go with Lufthansa

As with the above referenced question, the other airline flying this route besides the obvious choice may well have been unique to that particular month. To be sure, I would never have guessed it initially. However, it was not Lufthansa and even though Sabena has operated on this route, it was not Sabena either. Hmm.... The airline ends in "A"...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 27, 2014 at 2:45 pm