FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:01 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

20. Name two U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a section marketed as Business Class (Not First Class)

I'm pretty sure Hughes Airwest installed a C class section on their jet aircraft. As for the other air carrier, let's go with Muse Air.

Both Hughes Airwest and Muse Air are correct, though I don't think Muse Air offered a Business Class cabin until it became Transtar. I had forgotten about Muse Air, which means there's one more airline out there if you'd care to have a go.

21. Name two U.S. airlines operating prior to 1990 that once offered First Class but switched to an all coach configuration.

TTa (which later became Texas International) initially began DC9-10 operations with a first and coach config on their aircraft. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, TT's nines had 20 seats in the front cabin. This did not last very long and the aircraft were reconfigured into an all coach config. The other airline? Wild guess time: Frontier with an F/Y config on their B727-100 aircraft.

You are correct, sir! Additionally, there was one more airline as well. Anyone care to have a gander at which one?