FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:50 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
OK, this is my first posting to this thread, so please go easy on me!

Welcome aboard, Joe! We're glad to have you along for the ride. We know you have a choice of threads, so we're happy you chose this one

9. What was the first British airline to operate the Boeing 727?

I think it was Dan Air London. Dan Air also has the dubious distinction of crashing one of their 727-100s into a mountain on Tenerife in 1980, with 146 fatalities. I believe this was the worst 727-100 accident.

Right on, Joe. Dan Air it was. I seem to recall that its high density 727-100s also had a second exit door back by the engines, much like the 727-200.

11. What was the first fatal jet airliner crash?

It depends on whether or not passengers were aboard. The first commercial jet crash with fatalities was a Canadian Pacific Comet at Karachi on 3 March 1953. The aircraft was on a ferry flight, and 11 crew members, but no passengers, lost their lives. The first crash with passenger fatalities was two months later, when a BOAC Comet crashed at Calcutta on 2 May 1953.

The CP crash at Karachi is the answer I was looking for, but we all appreciate any additional detail you care to provide. It's always fun to read of sightings such as the AF Concorde one you describe below. I'll keep an eye out for that if I ever come across that film again. Thanks!

4. In 1972, these two foreign carriers enjoyed fifth freedom rights on the Chicago – Montreal route.

Air France is the obvious answer. I think the other airline was Swissair.

Quite a few different airlines have enjoyed Fifth Freedom rights on this route. You've got one of them right. Per the schedule I was using, the other one was not Swissair. But here's a hint: The airlines' name ends in "A"

Regarding Air France Concordes at Rio: my all time favorite scene of an airliner in the movies was in the James Bond movie "Moonraker" - Roger Moore takes the Concorde to Rio to meet up with CIA agent Dr. Holly Goodhead as they pursue Hugo Drax. The movie has footage of an Air France Concorde landing at GIG, with water vortices blowing off its wings, as a TransBrasil 727 waits to take off in the background - gorgeous!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 2, 2014 at 1:36 am