FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3 Carlson properties in Cape Town
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:14 am
aviationwiz

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
I just returned from the Park Inn Cape Town, and thought it was a pretty good hotel overall. The room was spacious, clean, and in good repair - and a Gold member welcome gift of water, wine, and some snacks were in the room for me when I arrived. Unfortunately, the downside will outweigh all of that (if you have a rental car). Minor downside - as a Gold, when I asked for late checkout by 2 hours, I was told there would be a fee - when I asked how much it would be since I paid for the room with points, they said they would call me back and never did - in the end I checked out 2 hours late and had no issues.

The parking structure is beyond horrible, however. There are two *VERY* steep inclines for getting up to the two parking levels, which on almost every ascent or descent resulted in the rear end of the vehicle scraping on the pavement. There are also many tight turns, including one incredibly tight turn to ascend up to the P2 Parking Level, that, even when backing up and making the turn as careful as possible, can result in you clipping the left front bumper, which is what happened to me - 3 times! There are also many marks on the side bumper area of the garage (presumably to prevent people from crashing in to the walls, but also decreasing the width), which goes to show that I wasn't the only individual with this issue. When I returned the vehicle to Avis, they sure noticed the scratches, and I'm waiting to hear back on repair estimates so that I can begin claims processing with my credit card rental insurance. It's not worth the headache though - just stay somewhere else if you have a car!