FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade possibillity for a medical condition?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:46 am
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I realize this passenger is likely already traveling, but there is a huge risk in asking for a better class of seating due to a medical condition.

You may be asked if you are fit to fly on the day of travel. I'm not kidding.

When my leg was badly injured and I had to keep traveling to keep my job, I quickly learned that expressing the need for improved seating can get you a fast refund and the trip is over. I learned to respond that I was, indeed, fit to fiy and intended to do so.

This situation can be a tight rope walk for sure.
Indeed. I have a very serious condition brought on by a sudden, major injury 8 years ago. It involved partial paralysis and some permanent damage resulting in chronic pain and mobility issues. I am fairly young and, taking my first trip post-surgery (TATL), I cheekily requested an upgrade in advance to make my trip more comfortable, bemoaning my poor-me medical condition (hey, I was an infrequent flyer then, it was before I found this forum and learned the ways of the flying world, and I was certainly 'entitled').

Not only did Air Canada refuse the upgrade, but they refused to even allow me to fly at all until I had submitted a medical evaluation proving I was fit to fly. And not just for this trip; I could not ever fly them again until I had done so. Needless to say, I booked BA, sucked it up and paid for CW. My bad for expecting the world to revolve around my problems. It was a much needed wake up call and I now book the seat I need. And I give thanks to AC every time I fly on much, much better airlines for making me never having to set butt on one of their planes ever again.