FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - F seat poached by disabled passenger
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:59 pm
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I feel for you man, that F seat was yours. But like you said, a "F" seat on a Q400 is not worth fighting over and risk delaying a flight. If you insisted on your seat most likely they would've had that woman removed from the flight, which honestly probably wouldn't have been worth the trouble.
Nah, they would just have sent her to her assigned seat.

Deboarding her and cancelling the ticket would be the right thing--make poaching carry consequences.

Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
I would have been crystal clear I will sit in my assigned seat even if they have to use a crane and a block and tackle to move the poacher.
Yeah, that would be my inclination.

There are provisions for disabled and I think they should all be accommodated fully and enthusiastically -- these do not include class of service upgrades. It is like suggesting a disabled person who takes the bus deserves limo service just because he/she is disabled.
There are times an upgrade is reasonable. The last flight we took my wife was using the aisle chair. I noticed that somehow we had ended up assigned one row apart rather than next to each other and I talked to the GA to see if it could be fixed. It was--by moving us up to E+. The extra space definitely made it easier on her. Nobody got bumped, though--that would be going too far.

Originally Posted by Flyer420
Do not take this post to be a blanket 'smear' on travelers from the subcontinent, it is not so intended.

That said, I have observed in recent years on EWR-BOM flights, an exponential growth of pax "requiring" wheel chairs. In the past, this
seemed to allow them early boarding, but on my last two flights, the GAs waited until the regular boarding was completed to do the wheel chair loads. Was this just a fluke? I don't know. Are some GAs at EWR a trifle cynical? Is the pope a Catholic?

The interesting thing (and maybe karma does come into this??) was that on arriving Mumbai, several of the pax who had required wheel chairs at EWR were now able to walk briskly down the long passageways to immigration and customs. Maybe there is a healing property afforded by travelling in a UA 777 for 15 hours...

Flyer 420
in the fog in Seattle
Briskly is probably a sign of scamming but some passengers can walk but the security line could be too much for them. There was a period of time where my MIL would have been in that category if faced with modern lines.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 24, 2014 at 9:35 pm Reason: merge