FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - F seat poached by disabled passenger
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:55 pm
jon0

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I wonder if your reaction would have been different if you had paid cash money for the F seat rather than been upgraded to it?
OP Here. I would never have paid outright for an F seat on a Q400, nor would I have wasted an RPU on one. I am also likely to pass on a $10 TOD upgrade on a Q400 if offered. I'm just that cheap.

As for delaying the flight, I can't imagine it taking longer than, what, 3 minutes MAX to move even the feeblist crazy lady from row 2 to row 18 on a Regional jet.
Here's what I imagine might happen:

Initial polite asking by FA: 2 minutes, no effect.
Escalation to captain: 1 minute wait, 2 minutes of prodding, no effect. (And oh, the captain gets to delay running his checklists to deal with this too)
Getting ground staff to come help: 5 minutes wait.
Fetching the aisle chair: 5 minutes.
Forcibly deplaning or relocating passenger: 3 minutes
Documenting the incident for the company: 10 minutes
Getting that DYKWIA feeling: priceless.

And if I remember the op correctly they left 20 mins late anyway. 20 mins. Sitting there at the gate staring at the hot dog in my hand while the crazy lady ate the steak I paid for?
Flight was already delayed 20 minutes when we started boarding, we loaded and left pretty much immediately.

Originally Posted by ani90
Really? So if you don't care for it, why didn't you decline upgrade and just choose a seat in Y? Even with your tight connection, sitting at front of plane is not something you care for?
Just because I don't really care for something doesn't mean it has no value to me, however marginal. If a dollar bill flies out the window while I'm driving down the highway, I'm not going to stop to pick it up because I don't really care for it given the circumstances surrounding what I must do get get it back. However, if I drop a dollar while walking down the road, you bet I'd bend down to pick it up.

Also, sitting up front for the tight connection wasn't too important, since I had gate check I needed to wait for, and also because you could simply say "Excuse me, I have a tight connection" and walk to the front of the plane before the door even opens.

Originally Posted by ani90
The OP said he used an RPU so I presume he did not use it just for this segment (which he says he doesn't care about sitting in F anyway) so maybe he was heading on a transcon or the like.
Yes, this was the starting leg of a TCON itinerary.