FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:03 am
Short hair Francis

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 51 – SW stands for Air Namibia, not Southwest, SW Business CPT – WDH

During the planning stage for the Africa trip, I had set aside about 3 days for Western Cape and 3 days for a Safari. Of course, all those days including a good amount of travel time, plus 1 day inbound from HKG, 1 day outbound to SYD we’ve originally lost already.

With that in mind, I had 3 ideas for a Safari trip, Kruger in South Africa, Etosha in Namibia and Chobe in Botswana. Of 3, the biggest concern was obviously safety, Namibia and Botswana seemed to be safer driving around than South Africa especially at night even though I already broke that rule.
Transportation wise, preference would be Kruger>Etosha>Chobe, flying back to Johannesburg would be cheaper than to go to Windhoek and Maun. Then came the accommodation trouble, most of the place weren’t designed for a 3 person family and the only places I found for Kruger were a bit too Gat-dung for this family to swallow or they were super-duber expensive.
Hence why the idea of going to Etosha National Park came to fruition

And finally why Air Namibia when Comair and South African Airways were in play, it was by far the fastest way to get there. And SAA didn’t have a CPT – WDH service on Saturdays.

Aug 10, 2013 – Saturday
SW 702 CPT – WDH 7:00am – 8:00am (319/J)

Another early wake-up, 4:00am to get up and out of the hotel by 4:45am for the 20 Minute drive back to Cape Town airport.
5:10am, write down the mileage, drop off the key and back under the tunnel and into the terminal building, good bye Summer respite that was Western Cape, I and Mama SHF will be missing 10 Celsius weather.

Cape Town International Airport

Air Namibia Check-In

Check-In was empty although I had already did on-line check-in yesterday. Now seriously, when is the next time I’ll get an Air Namibia boarding pass in hardstock for keepsake???

Security Line were also empty, no doubt since there is only 1 international flight at that hour, the Air Namibia one.

Air Namibia contracted the Bidvest Premier Lounge which was at 1 end of the terminal.

Cape Town International Departures Bidvest Premier Lounge

Lounge had most amenities, internet, eggs, cup noodles, cold cuts, fruit, cereal for breakfast

And around 6:15am, we left the lounge for the 10 minutes walk to gate A6

Air Namibia Airbus 319-100

Really had to do a double take since I’ve never seen an Airbus 319 with 4 overwing exits.
And boarding started at 6:30am as a free for all boarding.

*53rd Flight, 127202 Miles flown since Apr 28
Air Namibia 702
Cape Town to Windhoek Hosea Kutako
Scheduled – 7:00am – 8:00am, 2 hr flight
Actual Departure – 6:38am
On Time Arrival – 7:43am
Business Class, Seat 3B
Food – Breakfast
Equipment – Airbus 319-100

Air Namibia Airbus 319-100 Business Class Cabin

Part 51 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:22 am