FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:59 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by shefgab
I was on the same flight last night, also in Club. BA.com says the flight landed at 2209, so 194 minutes late (and just inside the magic 3 hours). I understood that as the flight was on an EU carrier into the EU it would be covered. Let me know how you get on!
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Will do. Just sent the claim in and also asked why they trapped us on board knowing there was an issue. I was in 3J btw hello
The latter point I do know the answer: namely that if it's a 20 minute issue it's a lot quicker to get everyone on board, get the engineer working on it, get fixed and get going. The trouble is that 20 minutes turns into 194 minutes, but crystal ball gazing is so under-rated.

This sounds bog standard technical to me, unless there really was something genuninely extraordinary involved (e.g. massive bird strike on landing). But I'd imagine indeed you'd be refused at the first instance and then have to pursue it with some effort if you want to get anywhere with it.