FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:10 pm
davidviolin

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Puh... I don't really know... Boeing introduced a number of new things with the 787, and DY signed up for all of it pretty early on in order to get the maximum discount. I can understand why they did it, thats what entrepreneurship is all about, taking calculated risks. So far it doesn't look like they are loosing anything. In 1-2 years when the 787 reliability is 'normal', the fleet is a bit bigger, Boeing learns to do MRO etc etc, the public will continue to book DY and they will start to make serious money. The captive audience DY aims for is looking for a deal. As long as they can weather the aftonbladet style reporting storm and still fill aircraft (which I think is the case) and skim compensation payments from Boeing they should be fine.
I think this is very close to the truth. In a few years, when the kinks are worked out, nobody will remember this when you can get a roundtrip LGW-JFK for $500 bux on a 787-