FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:38 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by moondog
I used to play the chargeback game myself, but have long since given up because I was wasting lots of time and I don't think the merchants/acquirers actually cared (for every squeaky wheel, there are 100 other people that generate substantial bonus profits). The idea of boycotting DCC establishments is all well and good, but you'd have trouble eating in Shanghai if you maintained this policy. I usually simply pay cash or use Unionpay these days.
Is Discover susceptible to DCC? I've heard conflicting stories. I don't have a Discover card, so I've never been in a situation to use it with a UnionPay or JCB machine.

As far as giving up on the chargeback game, it's more a matter of principle. You're right that a lot of the merchants probably don't care. Your bank certainly does though because they have to go through the chargeback process each time you file a dispute. For example, a few years ago if you called a US bank and asked about them issuing a card with an EMV chip for overseas travel they wouldn't know what you were talking about and would just repeat the line, "All merchants who accept Visa/MC have to accept all cards blah blah blah..." Now they've changed their story and specifically tout chip-and-signature as cards to facilitate things when traveling overseas.

China by far seems to be the worst DCC offender. In Taiwan I've always asked, and they've been able to accommodate DCC-free transactions. I only visited HK and Macau a few years ago before I learned about DCC, but fortunately I only got hit with DCC one time. Unfortunately, it was for my bill at the Venetian Macau so it cost me $30+.