FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:56 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
I said because I'm going to dispute the charge when I get home as you're breaking your contract with in this case visa. As it turned out, doggone it, my bank simply refunded the 54¢ difference instead of charging it back to teach those clowns a lesson.

The reality is most people you deal with on the retail level have no idea about what's going on with this. That is the reason people in the know must continue to fight this scam because it is spreading like wildfire throughout the travelling world!
Banks may continue to eat the cost now, but what about if more and more people start submitting claims about being scammed by DCC? Surely it cost your bank more than 54¢ to reverse to you. If enough people start to complain, issuers can begin to change their tune. For example, how recently would you get the line of "all merchants are required by Visa/MC policy to accept all cards blah blah blah..." when you asked why the bank didn't issue cards with EMV? That's all you would hear from them about two years ago.

When I went to call about getting a new card from Chase with EMV last week, the story was completely different. The rep not only knew about EMV, but he knew the differences between chip-and-signature and chip-and-PIN. Granted this could have been one of the few who was in the know, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Agreed, but I'm responding to the person who was talking about a no CVM transaction automatically triggering DCC.
I don't know the process as a cashier for this scenario, but I think they would have to opt for it for the terminals to be in compliance with Visa policy.