FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:13 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I know this is kind of off topic but since currency conversion and DCC seems to be the topic of the day..
To those that are oversees now and know for certain that they are not being hit with DCC.. Are you finding that the conversion rate given to you by Chase on CSP falls in line with the visa rate?
(My mom asked, and I told her all I knew ,which is that Chase most likely uses the rate on the date the charge becomes permanent part of statement (not pending)
Yes, the conversion rate is always nearly exactly the true exchange rate, and it's based on the date the transaction posts. Usually it's not a big deal unless there's a huge depreciation of the USD relative to the foreign currency. But it's not like we're dealing in Bitcoin here.

DCC has a loose tie in to the EMV discussion since eventual chip-and-PIN helps to prevent DCC charges. If you have to enter a PIN, you'll need to see the amount you're agreeing to pay before doing so. If they're trying to pull the DCC scam on you, you can bail on the transaction.