FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When should I do the Diamond challenge?
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:42 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nnn
Does the OP say the wife is a lawyer?

In any event, we are spouses in big firms and have managed to take at least one trip per year lasting 9-10 nights, so it can be done.

OP: I'd do the later challenge, so that you can have status longer. It may help on work trips to get nicer rooms, and you may take other personal trips, even short ones. However, you are gambling that the Diamond challenge will not be discontinued.
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
If you can find the entry level suites at refundable rates, book them now. Once you get your suite upgrades, simply call the diamond line and have them cancel your original reservation and rebook into the suite upgrade. Just be sure to explain what you intend to do; and have them call the hotels directly (to ensure 'your' suites remain available). I did it for a trip to HR Maui and GH Kauai, and it wasn't a problem. (But I did have to explain carefully/upfront to the diamond rep).
Full rate deposits will be taken at the properties utilizing this method. If status is known, and OP will in fact receive suite upgrades March 1st, 2014, a reservation can be made in anticipation of receiving the suite upgrades, into a paid base room (and perhaps a P+C reservation). Just call in and have HGP apply an actual certificated when deposited in the HGP account.