FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EVA Air Royal Laurel Experience Take Two: HKG-TPE-YYZ
Old Jan 18, 2014, 4:03 am
btang

Programs: CX SL, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Talking EVA Air Royal Laurel Experience Take Two: HKG-TPE-YYZ

It’s been a really nice vacation, but it’s time to go back to the reality. Checking the weather report the night before was a mistake, it turns out the polar vortex is back for another go next week. Oh great!

For today’s flight, I decided to check in at the Kowloon Station and take the Airport Express. Boarding passes were quickly issued and my heavy bags tagged all the way to Toronto. The only thing that irritated me was a 20 people group that beat me to the single check in counter, and so I had to wait for a good 10 minutes.

EVA Air uses the Virgin Atlantic lounge in Hong Kong, which is great, because it’s one of the best non-Cathay lounges in the airport. It is situated on the upper floors of the terminal near Gate 60, close by the equally attractive new Plaza Premium Lounge.

I was warmly welcomed in to the lounge, where one of the staff quickly led me to a set of comfortable lounge chairs. He also placed a menu on the table before asking me for a choice of beverage. I haven’t had lunch yet so I decided to have a bowl of Wonton Noodle Soup and Nasi Goreng, along with a glass of coke.

The taste was “Okay lah”, but I give full marks for trying hard to create an exclusive feel to the lounge instead of the traditional self-serve cold-hot dishes setup.

The chairs looked really cool, but they weren’t particularly comfortable. They also looked rather worn out.

The bathroom was really nice as well, but this was pretty weird.

Our flight was delayed by around 30 minutes, in which a ground staff member walked around and personally informed the news to every passenger in the lounge. Meanwhile, the lounge began to fill up with more business class passengers from the crowded gate area below.

Last edited by btang; Jan 18, 2014 at 4:43 am