FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Booking Troubles
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:51 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If you'd like to change the dates, you can certainly do that but if you don't hold status with AA, there will be a change fee involved and since we're talking about 4 seats, you'd have to pay 4 change fees."

This is incorrect. AA does not charge any AAdvantage member -- regardless of status -- to change dates or times on award travel.

And the OP was lucky to have the $25 telephone-ticketing fee waived. It is supposed to be charged when booking award travel on carriers for which aa.com is incapable of making an award booking.
Whereas this is generally true and I'm sorry about my wording, there is an exception:

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage Executive PlatinumAAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members using miles from their account).

Since the OP mentioned that there was a consideration about a date change, I thought I'd throw it out there.
Yes, but that $75 charge only applies if the new date is within 21 days of the original ticketing date. If the OP books an award today for travel on March 1, for example, the date can later be changed to March 6 with no fee, even if the change is made less than 21 days prior to March 6.