FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:34 am
LoneTree

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Majuki
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Neither of them had me sign the receipt and just handed me my copy. If it was a larger purchase I would have said something, but I wasn't going to raise a stink over 42 cents. I could probably file disputes with Chase and they'll write off the small amount as the cost of business and not even check.

A lot of the cafes here have the contact EMV terminal behind the counter and only the wireless EMV/pin pad unit in front.
You're being complacent and surrendering to this deceptive practice. Chase may write off the small amount, but it costs them resources to have to deal with disputes. I encourage you to file a dispute saying you were not offered a choice.

This goes back to my original point of looking at the receipt carefully before signing - I know you didn't in this case - and specifying local currency explicitly before your card has been processed.
In this case it was an extremely busy cafe with a fast moving line and clerks who barely speak English. One handed me the receipt and disappeared to handle the next customer instantly before I could see what happened. As much as I want to fight the procedure, I also don't want to cause a scene, annoy a large group of locals and overworked staff, especially as a foreign traveler. I'd rather not play up stereotypes against Americans. I know when to pick my battles.

Hostel check-in, sit down restaurant, retailers, most situations, I'll fight. One cappuccino during a busy evening rush and after the fact, I'll let slide.

Their main concern is more that you don't tip on card, from what I've heard that's why I'm not being handed the unit. They'd rather get cash tips they don't have to report for taxes.

I hadn't thought of explicitly stating local currency when handing the card over. I'll make sure to do that moving forward.

Edit: I wonder if Chase will give another formula answer like, "it's our policy that retailers always offer customers a choice"? I'll definitely file, I can annoy them both on a chip and PIN option offering a hard stop to give the customer an opportunity to decide, and to hold out hope that enough complaints may cause them to restrict it ala Amex.

Last edited by LoneTree; Jan 17, 2014 at 10:42 am