FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:27 am
flashware

Originally Posted by JSM8
I was one of the unfortunates who was stuck at LGW on Christmas Eve. Aiming to travel on BA 2714 to AGP, scheduled to leave at 14.45, the web site updated with a 'creeping delay' (latest one was for a departure at 19.03) before I then received a text at 12.48 (less than 2 hours from departure to say it had been cancelled). Long story short was I was re-booked onto a flight from LCY on Boxing Day - nearly 40 hours later than the original booked flight.
I thought this would be an obvious EU261 claim for cancellation, but BA have come back rejecting the claim as the cancellation was due to 'airspace restrictions being in place that were ooutside British Airways' control'. The issue, as many will know was not airspace restrictions, but a power failure in North Terminal. Some airlines moved their operations to the South terminal, but BA did not, so my view is they had operational options available.

Thoughts anyone?
I would think it would fall under extraordinary circumstances still. If you read back through the last few pages I'm sure there was a mention that BA are providing other relevant compensation.