FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Preserving one's right to exit the plane in one's turn
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:36 pm
cbn42
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by cmwdjw
If you know you will be slow in de-planning, Just sit tight and wait for the rest of the passengers to deplane. People with canes, crutches, strollers, toddlers, bags too heavy for them or that must walk slowly, just exit last, for pete's sake. I once had a women in front of me holding up the whole plane because she was straightening the collar on her teenage daughters jacket and fixing her hair too, adjusting their carry ons etc, all oblivious of holding up the entire plane!! Other times we finally get to the jet way, to only have to jockey around an elderly passenger waiting for a wheel chair or taking up the entire walkway with their walker or cane. Why do you want that pressure of knowing there are LOTS of people waiting behind you!!!!???
So who is to decide how fast you have to move in order to get off the plane at the beginning? When traveling alone, I walk faster than 95% of the people on the plane. Should they all wait for me?

If someone is a bit slower than you, that does not mean they have to delay themselves even further in order to accommodate you. They have the same right to get off the plane in turn that anyone else has. Some people who are ahead of you will be faster than you, and some will be slower. Deal with it. Your total door to door travel time is likely several hours. Another 5 minutes is not going to matter.

Originally Posted by cmwdjw
And if the plane has been delayed, the FA should be asking if anyone needs to make a quick connection. No one would mind letting a few people off first!
I have seen FAs try that. It has no effect. Once the FA even listed the airports, and said that people going there could get off first. As soon as the seatbelt sign went off (or even before), everyone was up and in the aisles.