FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:53 am
Captain Schmidt

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Had a couple of days in New Orleans with Mrs S between Xmas and NY. First time there, but loved it. Have visited a lot of the US over the years, but think this town has to have consistently the best food in the country.

Despite only being there a couple of days we managed to do:

Herbsaint for dinner. Excellent cooking, nice space, good service - probably the highlight for us.

Coquette for lunch. The smoked catfish was fantastic. We also had a small plate of carrots that were incredible (and yes, I never though that I'd be saying that about carrots). I somewhat stupidly had a burger which was fine, but probably doesn't really highlight what they do best.

Patois for dinner. Food was good, but service a little patchy. I know Americans are in general happy to be rushed through a meal, but this was way too fast and completely unecessary as there was no further sitting for our table. E.g. we ordered a half bottle of champagne as an aperitif and had barely started sipping it before the first course arrived. When we asked the waitress to slow down, she became a little snippy with us which spoiled the experience a little.

Le Petit Grocer for lunch. Worth it for the blue crab beignets alone.

Only disappointment for me was Cafe Du Monde. Coffee was terrible, the beignets so-so (and yes I know I'm likely to get scorned for saying that), and saw no reason to queue for half an hour or more.

All-in-all, though loved eating there and will definitely be going back.