FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:38 am
joshwex90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by cbn42
I have no problem with DCC. The DCC scam is similar to the high APR scam. It enables the banks to make more money off the suckers, which improves the rewards programs for us.
I don't mind them charging high APR to those who don't pay their bills on time. There's a difference between you making the mistake and paying big to help us, and a suckers scam, which is what DCC is.

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
<Haven't read this thread in a while. Wow, the discussion in here has really gone off the rails.>

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014...ta-breach?lite

Not clear where the "end of 2015" part comes from. And I don't think EMV is a guarantee that there won't be breaches in the future, esp. if the attackers are able to get code inside the POS itself.
Also not clear why they say it would be a huge undertaking, as I'd venture a guess that most manned POS devices are already EMV-capable.

Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
Two more stores to add to the list in Los Angeles (South Bay). They take EMV right now both C&S and C&P. A lot of other small shops in the South Bay have them but aren't active yet. I talked to one of those shop owners who said that their acquirer made them purchase an EMV terminal but said they wouldn't activate the chip reader until sometime this year.

Speedi Mart
(liquor store)
975 N Aviation Blvd
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

Artesia Produce Market
2322 Artesia Blvd
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
Welcome to FT and thanks for the update! You say they take both - do they force PIN ever, or simply allow whichever the default of the card is?