FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bloggers taking comps
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
As if getting a free domestic ticket to attend a LH presentation while having to take time off from work is such a huge incentive.
I agree that it's OK for any FTer to accept company payment of transportation expenses to attend a company-sponsored event on one's own time. This isn't cash in anyone's pocket. Such meetings provide an opportunity to ask questions and present FT members' opinions to company management. These frank exchanges unambiguously benefits both the company and FT. Restricting this means of communication would benefit no one.

Now if you're thinking a company might gift someone 100,000 miles in order to buy favorable posts here on FT, that sort of thing has never happened to my knowledge. Companies spend their marketing money more rationally than that. Furthermore I don't know anyone on FT whose opinion could be bought, period. A company donation to support FT as a whole would be more effective marketing IMHO.

In summary, this is a non-problem. We don't need rules to prevent something that will never happen from happening.