FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:27 pm
Wiirachay

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Stop complaining!!!

At MSP on 1/1/14, I answered "yes" to the food question as I was bringing in jam. No additional questions by the machine were asked. The receipt had a circle around the the phrase proceed to "Baggage Control." However, in MSP, the "immigration" officers review all receipts with circles, which caught me by surprise. (At IAD, all GE members pass through "immigration" booths with no one monitoring them.)

It took me just 1-2 minutes talking with an "immigration" officer to explain what "food" I was bringing in and to explain to him that the questions had been modified. At first he asked me why I answered "yes" when all I had was jam, as jam wasn't considered an agricultural, etc. product. After pointing out the "food" wording on the receipt, he then stamped my GE receipt and wrote his badge number, telling me that the machines had changed the wording to his surprise, and apologized.

Instead of heading to the exit, I went to Baggage Control, as the receipt had instructed. There, the "customs" officer just told me to head to the exit, immediately after seeing my receipt with the previous officer's annotation. He didn't even bother reading what I answered "yes" to.

My only criticism about this is that CBP needs to be trained about the GE machines asking different questions and that the machines should print receipts with "Proceed to Nearest CBP Agent" as opposed "Proceed to Baggage Control" for situations like mine.

Summary:
* Total additional time inconvenienced: 2 minutes.
* Improvements required: Staff training and modification of wording on receipts to match local airport's CBP procedures.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Jan 9, 2014 at 7:35 pm