FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GGL partner card rules question
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:27 pm
janetdoe

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Hmmmm.. thanks for that - this is new then (as you say!). I guess it stops the 23-month membership loophole...
I was trying to read and understand the rules:
8.5. Where a non-Executive Club member is nominated for a discretionary British Airways Gold/Silver card they will receive an e-mail from the Executive Club with details of how to enrol and to provide additional information for their partner card application. This information must be completed by the Nominee within 14 days of receipt, otherwise the nomination will expire.

8.6. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. The discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last for the remainder of the nominating Member’s membership year, followed by a 12 month period in conjunction with the nominating Member’s membership year.

8.7. The Nominee should expect to receive their discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold card within 28 days of the date of nomination and acceptance by British Airways.

8.8. Standard booking lead times apply. Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.

8.9. Nominees with existing Executive Club membership will commence a new membership year as a Member at the time of issue by British Airways of the new Silver/Gold Partner Card. All current Avios Points will be transferred to the new membership and any existing Executive Club Tier Points will expire other than as Lifetime Tier Points.
It seems to me that if you nominate someone with no existing EC account, the status could last as long as 23 months (the remainder of your membership year plus a year after that). I'm reading that 8.6 applies to the case stated in 8.5, where a non-Executive Club member is nominated.

However, it seems that if you nominate someone with an existing EC account, 8.9 applies, and the nominee's status will last exactly 12 months.

Does this sound like a reasonable interpretation, and does this interpretation match up with everyone's recent experience?