FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:42 am
Football Fan

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
So we are staying for the full four nights.

Some more observations:

Property: It's really, really steep. Walking from the lobby to the room is not possible without breaking a sweat. Forget about staying here if you are old/handicapped or anything like that.

Room: Apparently the room is indeed the Club Deluxe Pool King room which is described as 105 sq m on the website. Again, there is no way that these are 105 sq m. I consider the "plunge pool" totally useless - definitely not big enough for swimming, half of it is extremely shallow anyway, the deeper part is maybe as big as a bathtub - not sure what to do with it. There is some water that runs into it constantly, so there is a constant fountain-type noise that apparently cannot be turned off either. The finishings in the room don't seem flawless, some stuff, although new, looks like it was used. Bit weird. Water pressure in the shower (and toilet) is quite low.

Kindly enough, my ambassador reimbursed the points for the upgrade to me, as I expressed some disappointment with the room.

Internet speed: Just barely ok, but not fast enough.

Breakfast: Breakfast in the main restaurant was alright. Nothing out of the ordinary (for Asia), not bad. They should probably cover the fresh fruits with something, as there were quite a few insects around.

Beach: The beach in front of the hotel is not really useable. In the morning and until around 2 p.m., it seems to be low tide, and all you see is a lot of seaweed and some birds and some locals picking something out of the seaweed. In the afternoon, at least there is water, but I haven't seen anyone swim on that beach.

Pool: The pool is the highlight of the hotel. Huge infinity pool, I would guess maybe 50 x 30 meters? As of right now, with only about 50 people staying at the hotel, very nice to swim some real laps, and nice to chill at the same time.

Again, the finishing doesn't seem to be great quality, one tile in a corner of the pool came off when i was trying to lean on it. But the pool is definitely nice and to some extent makes up for the lack of a proper beach (even though it's a bit funny when you are in the infinity pool in the morning and you see the messed up beach and/or a bus or truck passing by with people looking down on you (because they are higher up than the pool).

Regency Club: I would say that the Regency Club is another highlight of the hotel. It has its own, smaller infinity pool (the kind I would have hoped for at our room, going by the description of the room on the hotel website...). I would say it's about 15 x 4 meters, long and wide enough for one person to actually swim. Cocktail hour (alcoholic drinks and warm and cold food) offered from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Fitness/Spa: There is a fitness room (24 hours accessible) under the Regency Club. The spa (located a short walk up from the Regency Club) is open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. - haven't tried it yet.

Staff/Service: The staff has been very friendly throughout. Some things may be attributed to possibly a language barrier? We asked for some additional towels to the room after arriving in the room and seeing that there was only 1 per person. The employee said yes, of course - one day later, nothing. We also called to ask if that "fountain noise" could be turned off. They said they would send an engineer. After about 30 minutes, we called it off as we wanted to go to sleep. Never heard back. Also, returned from a day at the pool at 4 p.m. to find out that our room was just getting cleaned then. Bit late, I find. Had a conversation with the very friendly Dutch director of rooms. He made it possible to change the stay to a points and cash stay. The GM hasn't made himself visible to me. There was someone who I think is the GM, talking to a couple at the cocktail hour in the Regency Club. He didn't get around to talking to the other four couples there at the time. Edit: Have in the meantime had a very friendly conversation with the GM, will add some notes on that later.

Overall: Overall, I would say this is a 4 star hotel. From what I have read about the Westin Siray Beach, the setup on the hill sounds a bit similar. Although staff is friendly and the pool and regency club are nice, I will probably not come back. The hotel seems a bit out of the way from everything and I prefer to have a real beach.

Last edited by Football Fan; Jan 8, 2014 at 10:20 pm Reason: removed pics