FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:18 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by k3vb0t
Newb here... my main question is will segments accrue together from both airlines to hit status? I tried searching status and read the merger facts only thread, but didn't see anything definitive which leads me to believe status will be separate until further notice. Just need to know so I can start booking trips.

I am going to have ~14 business trips this year that I didn't have last year. I'm based in Knoxville. Half my trips are to Phoenix, half are toward Baltimore/DC.

Going to BWI the most sense is to fly TYS-CLT-BWI on US Airways. Going to PHX I can do TYS-CLT-PHX or TYS-DFW-PHX. I want to avoid ORD.

Flying solely US Airways will get me to ~60 segments this year (or close enough to do a MR to get the last 2-4 I need). But sometimes flying via DFW is more convenient on AA. I don't want to sacrifice segments on AA if they won't be combined with US Airways segments and result in me missing status.

Hoping that made sense.
It's unknown whether they will combine segments at year end. Most of us thought they would, but yesterday's announcement made that very uncertain.

But not to worry. You can now credit your AA segments directly to US, or vice versa. Put all your segments to the same program, and there's no need to worry whether they combine.