FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:23 am
ZZYZXROAD

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
While I am not a huge fan of full trip reviews of every personal detail, I do appreciate folks experience and tips when visiting hotels.
Here are some of my tips/experiences for this resort.

Recently stayed here on a points stay 12/30 - 1/2, 50k per night for NYE , ski-in ski-out, mid mountain, private gondola to village, fireworks, etc, which I deemed great value for me.
The valet is still $39 and resort fee $25, no waivers or opt outs for Plat members. Resort is absolutely awesome.

A few things:

My bed sucked. Way to firm and they have plywood(visible) between mattress and box springs with a pillow top cover. PLYWOOD! I have slept in $80 road side Fairfield Inn's with more comfortable mattresses and sleep about 175 nights a year on the road. If I spent $900 a night here as the rate indicated I would demand a 50% refund or a new room/bed ASAP. Unacceptable. Not sure if the plywood was helping or hurting the situation.

No bennies for Plats. No upgrades, lounge, food discounts or point earnings on dining. I earned 1000 points, flat rate for trip.

Went to Club Lounge to see if room key had access (I know no access at Ritz) and it did not. Got invited in by another family as a guest, LOL, and enjoyed the club level lounge for a few bites one night. From what I could tell, do not spend the money on a club upgrade. No way is it worth it at $200 per night. While the food choices were great in the lounge and unlimited of anything you could want, $200 is a lot unless a family of five could eat 2 full meals there a day.

Bring in your own alcohol and water bottles. Will save you $100 for two each night, at least for me. Also brought in some light snacks for the kiddies, saved the day.

Each room has individual Kurig machines with 2 provided small water bottles.
Housekeeping staff will provide Newman's K-Cups, small water and coffee packages at will, just ask.

The in-house coffee shop is slow and $$$, expected. $4 for a large 12oz coffee and $5 for a latte.

The food options were average. The new Backyard BBQ on the patio was really good tho. Try the homemade chips. Enjoyed going to the village for some what cheaper food options and choices. While I do not mind hotel food, it has always peed me off on the gouge. $20 for hamburger.

The outdoor pool area is very nice and a great location to watch the kids on the beginner hills. The pool is heated(not warm enough for winter) and some kids were swimming. Once the sun goes behind the mountain, its gets really cold fast.

There are free smores at 4:30 pm at the main fire pit at the Ritz.
Not sure if the adults realize that it's really for the kiddies but some adults don't want to give and inch for a 3 year old girl trying to melt her marshmallow. Big kids, adults, eat more free smores than I could ever imagine. They have different flavored marshmallows each evening.

If your kids are interested the ice skating in the Northstar Village, bring or borrow skates from home. The skate rental line is very long and sells out.
It opens at noon and the line forms at 11am each day. Crazy long.

When departing, give yourself 15 minutes for valet to get your car brought around, my experience.

If your looking to stay here and would like some ski tips then PM me, thanks,

Last edited by ZZYZXROAD; Jan 8, 2014 at 5:45 am