FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:00 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by marcusr
Two return tickets are £34 each, so I claimed £68. The reply was a cheque for £50 would be coming my way (as the duty of care form mentions a £50 maximum). I've already replied that I would put in a separate claim for each passenger rather than combining our claim, but does the level of compensation really get limited to £50 per PNR rather than per passenger?
That will be BA's internal guideline. The Regulations set no precise figure, and strictly speaking BA reneged on their side by not sorting you out. I've seen £50 mentioned before in the context of a single taxi ride back to London, so I suspect that is where it came from. The fastest way to resolve this is to just telephone BA and explain the circumstances. Even obeying their own guidelines the appropriate ceiling for you would have been either £100 (two people sharing a taxi return) or £200 (4 x £50 each way each person). I doubt you will have any pushback on this when they see your challenge.