FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:47 am
TDAIR

Compensation for Delayed Flight. LGW to TPA 9 November 2013

Hello

I am currently trying to obtain compensation from BA in respect of Flight BA2167 on 9 November 2013 from London Gatwick to Tampa. The flight arrived 4 hrs 31 minutes late at TPA.

The flight was due to depart at 12:55 London time and at 00:44 I received an SMS stating. BA2167 is delayed and will now depart at 14:55. At 09:02 a further SMS was received stating a delay until 17:00.

I made a complaint to BA and I summarise their response below.

As you are aware, a problem with the standby instrument control box was discovered on the aircraft. This discovery was made during final safety checks of the previous flight the aircraft operated. This flight, as you are aware, was from Antigua returning to London Gatwick.

The standby instrument control box had been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines and was not scheduled for maintenance or replacement. Therefore, an available spare was not present at Antigua and one had to be sourced from Miami.

This constitutes as an extraordinary circumstance and prevented the aircraft from operating as scheduled. However, under EU legislation and as per CAA guidelines concerning extraordinary circumstances, British Airways is not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

Any thoughts/advice as to whether there is a claim and the next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Ted