FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:00 am
jkburns1

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Why is it "insulting" to charge for a good or service that presumably has value? Sounds a bit entitled to assume that you should be given elite status based on DYWKIA. Some airlines grant status matches, some challenge, some charge for a challenge. Doesn't seem "insulting" if policies are standardized and people and businesses can choose what works for them.
I dont know that it's insulting nor do I think it's DYKWIA either. As a business there are folks like me who are standing here saying to AA/US "here's proof I fly 140 segments a year and give UA approx $20K in revenue each year - if you give me a challenge at no charge you will reap the benefits of all of my business due to your merger and pending split from *A" Ironically I end up doing another 10-15 segments on B6 per year to JFK from BOS that AA would likely grab post-merger and would have 100% loyalty for this gesture.

If they choose not to offer that then they take the biz risk of hoping I'll pay $200 anyways or that I'll find a way to keep my business with UA and they, in turn won't gain it, and will lose the revenue they did once get for many of those segments as *A.

Personally if I were running a business I'd rethink the policy during this time of transition and snatch up the opportunity to whisk away many UA elites. Then again I' considering paying the $200 regardless so perhaps it's a brilliant biz policy if you can snag the extra $200 and not lose those in the same boat I'm in.