FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:20 am
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by username
I have been away from AA for a while, I thought AA had a challenge program. Has that been discontinued?

I guess the difference with the challenge program is you don't get the status until you have reached the challenge while the US one gives you the status right away?

I guess the trick is to balance between getting real elite flyers over without the insulting $200 charge vs. preventing people who game the system to get status for a few months. To me, the best thing maybe to charge $200 but refund it fully or partially depending on how much the customer ends up flying...
Why is it "insulting" to charge for a good or service that presumably has value? Sounds a bit entitled to assume that you should be given elite status based on DYWKIA. Some airlines grant status matches, some challenge, some charge for a challenge. Doesn't seem "insulting" if policies are standardized and people and businesses can choose what works for them.