FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planning Honeymoon to Kauai, Maui: Add a trip to the Big Island? Yes or no?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:14 pm
JA610

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
I agree with Wharvey. Since this is your first trip to Hawai'i Something also to consider is doing the NCL 7 day around the Islands cruise add a few days before or after to see and enjoy any Island or place where you want to spend more time. After you know what and where you want to visit Inter Island flights and hotels can be booked at the last minute at reasonable rates.
I also suggest that you look at The Revealed Guide Books and www.konaweb.com where they have a very active visiting forum. Hawai'i is a Great Place Enjoy your time there.

Safe Travels,

Originally Posted by wharvey
I am biased as I love the Big Island... been there six times!

Personally I would switch out Maui for the Big Island. You can get comparable beaches on the Kona side... and some great resorts on that side of the island as well as many recreational things to do.

VNP is not to be missed; especially if lava flows have picked up at that point. If flows are not active, not sure of the value of the helicopter tour for what it costs. There is so much to do on the Big Island.

You are right on the Astronomy stuff.... do not miss going up to Mauna Kea. On Saturdays, they do a tour up to the observatories... and you get to go into Keck One Observatory. You have to be at the Visitor's Center by 1 pm... and have your own four wheel drive vehicle... so worth doing. When you finish, you can come back down to the visitor station where the local amateur astronomers set up 5 - 15 telescopes to the night sky... a great evening of drinking hot chocolate and stargazing... pretty inexpensive evening.

To me, the Big Island should be the first priority to any visit to Hawaii.... and then Pearl Harbor!

Last edited by JA610; Jan 3, 2014 at 5:44 pm