FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Years Trip to the Other Vegas, "Xin" City (CX F, Conrad HK/Macao, Grand Hyatt HK)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:28 am
ORDnHKG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by spizzy

Looking at going to Macau and HKG in the future. For someone that gets motion sickness how bumpy was the Jetfoil ride Hong Kong to Macau?
Originally Posted by sfoactuary

- You should have no problems on the HK to Macau jetfoil ride as it was extremely smooth. In general I can get queasy at times as well on boats, but was even able to read and watch videos on my iPad during this trip since it was so smooth
sfoactuary was on a catamaran with Cotaijet (cotaijet only operate catamaran). If you want Jetfoil then you have to ride with Turbojet. (Don't confuse the two, as both are completely different boats. Note: Turbojet operates both Jetfoil and catamaran, so when you buy your ticket (preferrably at the ferry pier, not in advance), ask them which sailing is Jetfoil. And I believe at the departure board, the sailing with Jetfoil it would have the letter "J" in front of the departure time.

Jetfoil is completely smooth as it has the foils submerged under the water, which make the boat actually "fly" above the water. The jetfoils in Hong Kong are a Boeing product (yes it uses jetfuel with gas turbine engines), name Boeing 929-100 and 929-115.

Turbojet also has a boat called Foilcat, it looks like a catamaran but actually a combination of jetfoil and catamaran. It will provide a smooth ride as well, as it does have foils submerged under the water as well, just not "fly" as high as a jetfoil. They only have 2 of these, so you are not able to ride as much.

Between Hong Kong and Macau the seas often get rough when they have strong northeast moonsoon in winter, or southwest moonsoon in summer, so I really suggest to get on one of the jetfoils from Turbojet instead even if it is more expensive than Cotaijet.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 3, 2014 at 9:50 am