FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:08 am
bpjacks

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Kimpton/IHG Spire Elite
Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)

Hi,

I'm a UA Gold (just shy of Plat, sadly) and for a variety of reasons will be switching this year to US/AA. Because I have status on neither US nor AA I think my strategy needs to be to get status on whichever one I can get to first. Given my planned travel for Q1 and the US Trial preferred program I would hit US Gold (possibly even Plat) before achieving status on AA since AA doesn't seem to have any trial programs and the AA/UA status match challenge ended last year.

My first US flight is 13 Jan so I'd want to sign up for the US Trial preferred within a week or so.

AA doesn't currently fly out of my home airport (MHT) and has limited choice from BOS so for the foreseeable future, US seems to make sense from that perspective as well (though some of my travel through June will likely be from BOS on either AS or B6, which is good for RDM but not PQM/PQS as I understand it.) Not sure I could hit the 4 segment requirement on AA metal this year either.

Oh -- I hit status on segments before miles, if that matters.

Does this make sense, and am I missing anything I should be considering? I am sad to give up my UA status but with US leaving *A and being the carrier I have to fly for some of my most frequent business trips, I don't see another choice.

Thanks for your thoughts!