FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aurora in late March
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:25 pm
SuperG1955

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Thank you both for the information. After a few days of no response I was beginning to think that all of you were in hibernation.

Fairbanks it is. We (both couples) discussed the trip briefly last evening and we're getting together on Saturday to firm it up and make those reservations that we can.

When we take airfare, hotels and other stuff into consideration, we’re almost settled on a 3/23 or 3/24 afternoon arrival from Anchorage and a 3/28 departure to New Orleans. If we don’t catch an Aurora in 4 or 5 nights at the peak viewing time, then it isn’t meant to be. We don’t have a lot of flexibility on dates for this trip due to other previous commitments.

Fairbanks hotels are an issue due to some of the events that you’re suggesting we might see. We’d prefer to stay downtown rather than the airport. I booked us into the SpringHill Suites Marriott which wasn’t available before Sunday the 23rd. – suggestions and recommendation for other places are welcome.

The overall plan is to fly into ANC (Leave MSY on 3/19 – arrive after midnight 3/20). Tour in the ANC area until the 23rd or 24th when we catch a morning flight to FAI.

The focus of the trip is the Aurora. There seem to be many night time excursions where you’re picked up at the hotel, go to wherever you’re viewing and returned in the early morning. The one to the Arctic Circle is one that has a lot of appeal, even if there’s no Aurora that night. Which tour operators and viewing places do you recommend?

I’m hoping that we get good views of Denali for our friends but a trip to the park doesn’t make a lot of sense for us. My wife and I are very active and in good shape but we’re in our 70’s. Our friends are in their 60’s and he has some physical restrictions so a lot of walking or snowshoeing wouldn’t work. Also, the time in Fairbanks will be more late afternoon and night time oriented. If we miss some of the events, no problem – I’ve never been bored in Alaska. There’s always something interesting to see and do and suggestions for day time activities. We’d also love to have you and a companion join us for a dinner if that fits into your plans.

We’ll be flying DL. My wife and I are both Platinum and we’ll hope for upgrades. Our friends will get the minimum benefit of EC seating and possible companion upgrades. I can sleep anywhere so I’ll probably give any that I get to our friends.