FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:03 pm
asiadxer

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by JackTripper
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not clear on your purchase ticket. Was it Y or M? Also, I wonder how much harder it is if you aren't IML Gold. Does EVA handle upgrades using United miles?
Dec 2013 trip was M class ticket, upgraded using EVA Diamond upgrade certificates. When I was Diamond, the upgrades normally approved within 24 hours. This time as Gold I was waitlisted for 1 week outbound, almost 2 months for inbound.

For Feb 2014 trip I purchased Y ticket, M is not eligible for Mileageplus upgrade, only Y, B and K. And the difference between Elite K and Y was only $80, so I chose Y class (higher priority). The upgrade for Y-fare was available online immediately on united website.

I do not think IML status affects upgrade chances using Mileageplus as long as upgrade space is available, since its United that has to pay EVA for the upgrade. UA status might help, I have no status currently with UA. As noted above my B-ticket upgrade request was denied, while Y-class upgrade was approved, presumably because less cost for UA.