FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Years Trip to the Other Vegas, "Xin" City (CX F, Conrad HK/Macao, Grand Hyatt HK)
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:14 pm
sfoactuary

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spizzy
sfoactuary - Excellent TR so far. A few questions if you can-

Looking at going to Macau and HKG in the future. For someone that gets motion sickness how bumpy was the Jetfoil ride Hong Kong to Macau? Do you just check your luggage in and collect your luggage before immigration? Is there a long wait? How long does it take to get through immigration into Macau?

Are people smoking everywhere there? Hopefully the smoke smell doesn't come into your Hotel room as I have read on TA that even on non-smoking floors people smoke in some Hotels?

The food at 8 looks amazing and will have to try it out as well as maybe Robuchon au Dôme.

Are taxis expensive to get around Macau, and are taxis easy to catch (flag down)?

Was shopping there expensive or much like the pricing in Vegas?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year
Thanks, Spizzy! Hopefully I got all your questions answered below:

- You should have no problems on the HK to Macau jetfoil ride as it was extremely smooth. In general I can get queasy at times as well on boats, but was even able to read and watch videos on my iPad during this trip since it was so smooth

- Most people just brought their luggage on board as there is plenty of space at the seat as well as luggage racks. Some people with huge luggage did check it in, but the vast majority of people carry on

- Since there are so many sailing per day, wait times are pretty minimal. We just walked into the terminal in Hong Kong and bought tickets for the next sailing, and then headed over to boarding. Really easy process, no security or anything like that. Immigration at HK took abut 10 minutes, immigration at Macau took under 30 seconds

- We noticed that on the Cotai side where we stayed smoke was pretty minimal, in fact we didn't notice it at all indoors in the restaurants or malls. But on the other side when we were walking through the Grand Lisboa the smoke was indeed quite bad. But we definitely did not notice anything in our room

- I definitely recommend the 8! Just make sure to make reservations ahead of time. Heard great things about the Robuchon restaurant as well but just didn't have time to eat there

- Taxis were quite easy to get, probably just as easy as getting one in Hong Kong. If you're nearby to a hotel all of them have taxi stands and probably wouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes. Taxi fares were pretty reasonable, again similar to Hong Kong prices I believe. For example, the fare from the Grand Lisboa across to the other island to the Conrad hotel was approx. $50-60 HKD if I remember correctly

- We found that the prices were very comparable to Vegas, and ended up being cheaper as there was no tax. Additionally, almost all the stores were having sales. So make sure to leave some empty space in your luggage!

Originally Posted by Madone59
Great TR and photos. Thanks for sharing, Happy New Years!
Thanks so much Madone59 and happy New Years to you as well!