FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gate A14
Thread: Gate A14
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:26 pm
Champagne please

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Luggage experience BA vs others

So, maybe I'll get moved on but perhaps this fits in this thread. Apologies in advance if not.

Have travelled BA many, many times LHR to GVA checking in my hardshell TUMI suitcase since it was purchased. No issues, no marks, no nothing.

Clearly lulled into false sense of security, I checked it in once with Flybe SOU to DUB , on a flight with only about 20 people when the plane was a mere 50ft from the check in desk, , and darn it, if the thing didn't emerge cracked and with stress marks all over it.
The arirline asked me to send it to a luggage handling centre for *makes speech marks with fingers* "Inspection". Next thing the suitcase is returned to me *makes more speech marks* "Repaired" ..... but very badly, in fact worse than when I sent it off, because the main stress mark has been surplanted by a large round heat mark and the plastic coating torn. When I queried who authorised repair rather than inspection ( because I certainly didn't) I was told the airline did and I would have to pick up any issue with them.

Incidentally, my flight was best part of £450 return....coffee, tea and bag handling extra, natch.

Moral of the story? Only that in my experience and by comparison BA do pretty well given the sheer volume they deal with. Secondly Mr CP was right when he said don't check it in. ( maybe that's what hurts the most... )
YMMV

Last edited by Champagne please; Jan 1, 2014 at 4:36 pm Reason: rogue 'e' in moral!