FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ctrip is getting pricier
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:09 am
Modo

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Taiwaned

Not a ctrip issue as much as an airline issue.
Sorry it is a ctrip issue.

If I book with the airline then it is the airlines issue.

But ctrip are supposed to be a reputable agent - believe me I'm not going to let go of this "bone" on any forum or with any credit card company or travel insurer until ctrip change their policy. cTrip are a commission agent they must accept they not the airline have entered in to a contract. The airline cannot be allowed to pass its contracted liabilities on to the contracted passenger either directly or indirectly if it chooses to cancel to reduce its losses on an underbooked flight. For F...'s sake that is effectively operating each flight as a separate limited liability corporation and filing bankruptcy if they can't foresee a return on the flight!!!

To be clear I can afford the financial costs easily and without doing a DYKWIA I can kick butt. But my issue is that the average traveller is going to suffer severe distress and not know how to handle this kind of arbitrary behaviour.

Take a look at EC261. I'm certainly no apologist for European regulation in any sector - but in this instance EC 261 would very sensibly grant a passenger travelling in Europe and probably on any European airline anywhere in the world the protection of a rebooking on the next available (and no cheating, available means available not airline preferred available) flight and a hefty chunk of cash compensation, plus as relevant to the time delay sustenance and reasonable quality hotel accommodation.

In these circumstances Chinese airlines as you have referenced would have to cease issuing fantasy schedules.