FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Ishigaki with KLM, British Airways, Japan Air Lines and All Nippon Airways
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:54 am
William Agius

Hi mkjr
Originally Posted by mkjr
Nice. Not seen a report from you in a whole. Your photos of the JAL j cabin cement my choice to fly aa from nrt to ord in may...even old j on aa for 3 is better than that very private j...looks terrible if you travel with another...even if aa puts a new 77w, it would be better than that....
The seat certainly is very private, it's more or less impossible to chat with the person next to you because you'd have to lean forward the whole time. I've never tried AA but if I'm not mistaken, their new J class seat is the same that CX has. The seats in the middle row point inwards, towards each other.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Careful...your correcting a linguist (correctly in "this" case...might want to make sure you don't have any errors in any of your posts...)

William.., do you fly on points for this annual trip.
I am all mortification...

As for the points, it depends. This one is a paying ticket, but last year's trip was with points.

Hi armagebedar
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Nice report. It's "Japan Airlines", not "Japan Air Lines", by the way.
Thanks. Guess that's a blast from the past, from when I still worked for SWISS. Originally the company should have been named Swiss International Airlines. That was changed to the current spelling in four words when somebody in legal noticed that Swissair's original name had been Swiss Airlines.

Hi michlflyer
Originally Posted by michlflyer
Very nice to catch another of your reports. Looking forward to some pictures of Ishigaki. Hope the weather won-t let you down.

You were very sensible to stick to Perrier. A couple of years ago, on a lunchtime ANA (Air Nippon) flight returning to Haneda from Wakkanai (WKJ) I got quite excited when I noticed Medoc was on offer. It turned out to be lightly chilled, which spoiled the pleasure a bit.

Another thing I remember from that flight was that the individual seats in the pairs in business class on the 737-800 were slightly out of alignment with each other, which made for a little more privacy.
Actually, the weather has not been good so far. It's breezy, wet and rather cool. But very relaxing. As for the drinks, I stick with the Perrier out of necessity - for some reason wine gives me an immediate fat head on a plane. But I'll check the wine list on the return.

The privacy of the seat is good on the 767. The seat proper has 'ears', so unless you lean forward you can barely see your neighbour. There's also a fixed screen between the twin seats.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
William