FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for student re-routed to CDG for London, pls
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:31 pm
peersteve

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Advice for student re-routed to CDG for London, pls

Any advice for my nephew on first trip to London on getting from CDG to London, Camden Town area?

He was originally scheduled Sunday evening 29 Dec for DL 3338 CVG-JFK to connect with rest of students on a JFK-LHR flight. Because DL 3338 was running 2 hrs late, originating who knows where...... he was switched to the CVG-CDG non-stop (DL 228), with a 2-hour layover, then an Air France flight CDG-LHR.

So, a few questions while this college sophomore is snoozing (hopefully) his way across the Atlantic.....

Is there a better airport for him to use to fly into London from CDG? .....can I talk DL into a flight to a close-in London airport from CDG?

After landing at LHR, what might be the "easiest" way for him to the StayClub, number 34 Chalk Farm Rd, NW1 8AJ?.....yes, it's just a 5-min walk from Camden Town tube station, and, yes, the StayClub website has very clear directions for underground lines...........but I'm coddling a suburban-sheltered disoriented frat boy with no public transit experience.......would express train from Heathrow to Paddington, then taxi to Camden/Chalk Farm Rd be "easiest" or just silly-expensive?

.....any why didn't Delta re-route him CVG-DTW-LHR for the late evening flight? The CVG-DTW shuttle would have left at a time similar to his original CVG-JFK connector.......argghhhh...kid's parents didn't call me until it was too late for the DTW connection.....but with enough time to see there were still $99 upgrades to Econo-Comfort for CVG-CDG, which seemed to comfort the parents, also.....

thanks to all for advice..... he lands at CDG by 8am Paris time, or 2am USA Eastern time...... best wishes for new year!

Last edited by peersteve; Dec 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm