FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel to Ghana
Thread: Travel to Ghana
View Single Post
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:30 am
brocklee9000

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by elf618
Personally, I always pay for hotels with cc if possible and never had a problem in Ghana. Make sure your credit card company knows your travel plans and you should be ok. My biggest issue is having the cc issuer deny charge due to fraud concern even when I've called ahead to note travel plans and then needing to use a different card or call my bank. It's not a bad idea to be in the habit of reviewing charges posted to your cc account but you have more protection against loss this way than by carrying cash. (Debit card protection may not be the same though depending on your agreement)
Credit card fraud is a problem in the West African area, but I think it's mostly just electronically (online, via those scam emails and identity theft situations, not from credit card numbers being stolen locally). Also, there really aren't many places to use credit cards, so I wouldn't worry about it. Almost everything you do, if not everything, will be done with cash on hand, whether you bring money to exchange at a forex bureau, or withdraw from an ATM. Just remember, you'll want lots of small bills. Even though there are 20 and 50 GH Cedi notes, they're difficult to use (unless you're making a large purchase).