FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:39 am
golfingboy
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I might be a cheapskate at heart, so a bad person to emulate. When I catch the 0555 home from SFO, I usually have a business dinner the night before which ends at 2200-2300 after the lap dances, after which I stay in the Hotel Avis - park my rental car in Burlingame side streets, and snooze until 0400 - then drive to airport and freshen up in Club.

I can't see giving a hotel 250 USD for 4 hours of 'sleep'

Last time I did it this month, SFO went down to 32F and it was....kind of cold in the Hotel Avis...
You are not the only one. I am the same, I find myself sleeping in airports a few times a year to save a couple hundred, particularly when I am out late with an early morning flight. Sometimes that is to save good $$$ on airfare.

Case in point, I am flying to SUN next month, airfare from PIT was north of $900 at that time [SFO-SUN is sold out in Y, but F is wide open so they are overselling Y]. Instead of doing PIT-SUN, I am doing PIT-SEA/SEA-SUN/SUN-SEA/SEA-PIT to save close to $200. However, that means I arrive in SEA a little past midnight and depart at the crack of dawn. I could stay at the Hilton SEA for $125, but that defeats the purpose of me going through SEA in the first place.

So, yes on a vacation trip, I will be sleeping in the airport before flying down to SFO to meet my parents and fly together to SUN.

This kind of tactic on my part is most likely going to be the reason I won't meet the PQD requirement for 1K Even though I don't exactly buy rock-bottom fares [$450 transcons and 1-2x a year W+ international tickets], but I just can't muster myself to spend more for the sake of meeting PQD.

2015+ is going to suck for me, but I guess there are better things in life to spend my energy on than airline elite status.