FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:12 pm
LaserSailor

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
Elucidate, plse: Is "This!" the same as +1. On 2nd thought, consulted Urban Dictionary & found just that.
'this' is just after 'that' but Im sure you knew this or that...

Originally Posted by lensman
I would pay $99, assuming I didn't think my CPU would clear - which as a Gold would be my assumption. I mean, I do think that the food quality in F has gotten really bad - about on par with what Y used to be when it was free, but I'd pay about $50 an hour for the F seat, even over E+.

I do think these amounts might be relative to how much I fly and if I flew 6 hours a week for work the $300 a week would eat into my budget, so maybe this is one of those interesting psychology of pricing effects where infrequent fliers are willing to pay more for upgrades than frequent fliers?

Is this differential in value that different people place on domestic F part of the problem of CPU? That is, CPU provides free upgrades even to those who don't value it (or just value it very low).

Perhaps what UA should do is modify the CPU program to initiate charges for CPU? It could be a sliding scale based on demand, flight duration, and the difference between the lowest F fare and your fare. Silver would be 25% off, Gold 50%, Plat 75%, 1K 90% and GS 95% - 100%.

They could rename the benefit "Complementary Premier Upgrades". They would complement your flight.
I might be a cheapskate at heart, so a bad person to emulate. When I catch the 0555 home from SFO, I usually have a business dinner the night before which ends at 2200-2300 after the lap dances, after which I stay in the Hotel Avis - park my rental car in Burlingame side streets, and snooze until 0400 - then drive to airport and freshen up in Club.

I can't see giving a hotel 250 USD for 4 hours of 'sleep'

Last time I did it this month, SFO went down to 32F and it was....kind of cold in the Hotel Avis...

Last edited by LaserSailor; Dec 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm Reason: COnsolidate threads