FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A little bit of a lot of Europe: Nov 2013 Family TR w pics
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:24 pm
KennyBSAT

Programs: AS MVP
We fell asleep at some point, probably around 6:00. Somehow we all woke up around midnight thinking it was early morning, and while none of our clocks had reset automatically, we had tried to figure out and set some of them. So we had no idea what time it was until I went downstairs to check and see if breakfast was available yet... I did my best to order a light dinner from the hotel bar, and then we slept in just too late to get the breakfast that came with our room. Not to worry, they seated us near the bar and served us a full breakfast anyway at no charge.

We checked our bags back in and checked out, and headed off to the Louvre which is only a couple of Metro stops away. I should have realized that Bonnie was way over her limit of stairs climbed and descended on one leg, but as usual we were too busy taking things in to care. There were no lines or crowds anywhere in the Louvre except 20 or 30 people ignoring the far more interesting painting on the opposite side of the room in favor of the Mona Lisa. I don't get it. We grabbed a quick lunch in the food court area just outside the basement level of the Louvre before heading back in and just trying to take in the sheer volume of beauty there. While the Louvre was fantastic in every way, Bonnie was done with stairs around 3:00 so we got back on the Metro with no destination in mind. Thing 2 saw something called Le Grand Arch, so we decided to go check it out. A few minutes later we emerged in the gleaming modern glass and concrete buildings of La Defense. The whole area seemed strangely empty and quiet, and after a quick look around we headed back, I left Mrs. K in the station and got our bags, and we made our way to Gare de Lyon. Our train was scheduled to leave at 7:15 and I had read that there was a great restaurant near the station. Of course as soon as we got to Gare de Lyon I realized I would never find the correct exit and hadn't even recorded the name of the restaurant so we settled for sandwiches from a stand in the station before boarding the Thello night train.

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Jul 8, 2014 at 7:35 am