FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:18 am
Northernskyuk

Originally Posted by jrweaver912
I was interested in which redemptions provided the most distance traveled per point spent. So i decided to stick the data in a spreadsheet and sort by least number of points required to go the max distance in a band. I used the longest oneworld route per airline route map which is DFW-SYD at 8,589 nm.

Bands 4, 6 and 7 come out as the top three with 4 being the clear leader.

I also decided to add in what a redemption would cost at .595 cents per point which is my local marginal cost not including my time which is minimal. This number would change based on your earning style of course.
I did a similar thing but looking at routings that were good value (basically a spreadsheet version of Prospero's excellent work) - I only included JL flights and a handful of others as a starting point.

It shows the route distance as a percentage of the band maximum and highlights good and bad value redemptions. By filtering COO and COD you can see which combinations work/don't work - e.g. NRT to HNL is band 5, but KIX to HNL is band 6.

If it would be useful then I can open it up for others to amend/add data.

Edited: I'm guessing that Prospero has a similar spreadsheet used for creating these charts so not claiming this is anything new but it might be nice to have available to people who like to play with data.

Last edited by Northernskyuk; Dec 23, 2013 at 10:30 am