FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:05 am
Calchas
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
It would be interesting to factor in the purchase costs for each given level, since the best use may not be distance travelled per point so much as £££ saved per point.

Recent example was my JAL redemption PVG to NRT in J for 15,000 Avios, saving me £700, which was the cheapest available at time of booking, and one of my better redemptions.
Of course, but unfortunately pricing per mile varies wildly depending on carrier, market, time of day, route, date, service class, et c. in a way that is quite unrelated to distance. It would not be possible to factor this into a static map. Even a dynamic map updated for your preferred dates of travel would consist of disconnected contours and indeed isolated points (individual sale airports such as SJU).

Interesting redemption though, I shall bear it in mind next time I'm in that part of the world!

Edit: If you meant Avios purchase cost and taxes, that could be possible, but I expect it is relatively straightforward to compute from the Avios chart, without a need for further graphs to be made.