FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:07 pm
vibrex

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by Sign47
I was on this flight and sat by a window seat on the wing (don't want to reveal my seat number yet because BA has some explaining to do) but cabin crew were very professional and did their best to keep all aboard calm.

They kept us on board for over an hour after the collision and the message we were getting most was to turn our electronics off. This is because the captain and crew knew everyone was taking photos and posting to social media from their seats.

I will say we were travelling quite fast when we collided with the building. In my opinion not the standard taxi speed. We hit the brakes hard, glad I was wearing my seat belt! The first thing we hit was a lamppost and at that point I thought I was dreaming! I know the reports say no fatalities in the building but several people said the lights were on and people were in the building when the plane's wing struck the building.

The question all passengers are asking was it pilots fault or air traffic controllers fault or a mixture of both? The damage is extensive.

We were very worried about the fuel leaking from the wing but the captain told us it was under control with emergency services on the scene at once.

Chaos after we got off the plane and no one from BA there to help. This was very poor! It took me and many others three hours to be given a hotel room (Southern Sun airport hotel).

Very tired but I hope I get back to my family for Christmas. We'll find out in the morning what BA can do by putting us on others flights.
Thanks for your input - very informative. ^

Hope you get sorted with hotels and are able to fly tomorrow.